Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whirlwind Washington D.C.!!

What a great trip to Washington D.C., with terrific hosts (Kent and Beth) and an old friend (Jeanna) helping me find my way to some spectacular stuff. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so...

Beth and I were standing at the Lincoln memorial, right near the spot where Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech.


What a thrill to see FLOTUS' inauguration gown!!




A pilgrimage to see national treasures doesn't get any better than this:


Beth and I went to the Holocaust Memorial, which was awesome and very moving. Very well done--even those of you who think you know that story, put it on your Washington D.C. "must see" list. And we went on the anniversary of the OKC bombing, so seeing The McVeigh Tapes (Maddow's special) that night was a strange bookend.

Fortunately, there is hope in, and for, the world. Kent and Beth and I went to All Souls Unitarian Church last Sunday.



Imagine gathering and worshiping inside this eye candy each week.



They are warm and joyous, and diverse in every way. And their music program is unbeatable.















And I guess part of what it means to be Rev. Rob Hardies, minister there, is that every visiting minister from Podunk USA wants to pose with him when we're in town! (In the background is the Rev. Dr. Susan Newman, a nationally recognized preacher, the day's guest speaker.)


My friend Jeanna took me to the Congressional Cemetery, where many illustrious people were buried (including some members of congress. No, I won't suggest any names of current congressional "leaders" who should hie them hence.) The most moving one to me was the grave of decorated veteran Leonard Matlovich.



He also had a bench next to his grave with this quote:
If you have done nothing to erase prejudice wherever it exists, best weep for yourself and your country. Cliff Anchor


Washington, D.C. has been a wonderful stop on this journey!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lisa! Sounds like a wonderful leg of your trip. The grave stone and the quote were very moving.

    ReplyDelete