Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Seven Aspirations

I just finished a journal notebook - it always seems like such an accomplishment, to put the "end date" on one notebook and rubber band it, put it aside, pick up a fresh one.
The rubber band is because I always end up with extraneous pieces of paper stuck in, usually things I wrote when I didn't have my journal handy. One of those fell out into my lap this morning, apparently begging to be read again. It was my list of "Seven Aspirations," written in the summer of 2008 on the trip to beautiful Wyoming. It seemed like a good list to be reminded of as I begin this sabbatical journey.
Here are my aspirations:

Seven Aspirations:
Be a traveler, not a tourist.
Be an adventurer, not a refugee.
Be inquisitive, not acquisitive.
Be as spender of life, not a saver of souls.
Be a human being, not a human doing.
Be awake, not asleep.
Be more of a listener, less of a talker.

Haha, I notice with some chagrin that I wasn't able to say "NOT a talker." What a surprise, eh? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Aspirations. I hope you keep them in mind on this journey you are taking. Although I suggest you sleep sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete