Friday, February 26, 2010

1st book

I couldn't wait, and already read my first Sabbatical book. This is a little like eating your movie candy bar during the previews...but on the other hand I have a box full of candy bars for this upcoming film.
On the Sabbatical road I've limited myself to taking the number of books that will fit in a banker's box with the lid on. And no, I was not just trying to ease up the space in there by reading this first one. It was more like opening a bag of potato chips and saying, "I'll just have one. ...or two. ... ...oops."
So, what is this candy-and-potato chips book? It's called Orbiting the Giant Hairball, by Gordon MacKenzie. He's an artist who worked at Hallmark's corporate offices for 30 years, advancing from sketch artist to middle management. Naturally MacKenzie experienced lots of tension between remaining free and creative in a corporate, bottom-line-focused world. The book is fabulously illustrated with doodles on nearly every page, and a few full-color pieces too, so it's a delight to read.
It's probably good that I read this one in advance. I've gone out and purchased a sketch pad and box of colored pencils to help get me out of my left hemisphere comfort zone while on the journey. Thanks, Gordon!

No comments:

Post a Comment